Sunday, March 6, 2011

So Sad!

I came across this vintage handbag a couple of years ago at the local Salvation Army store for only $3! I love it...circa 1960 and so very Mad Men!!!!

What is sad is that it is time to retire it. :( The handle is done!!!

It's just heart breaking! On another note....
I took a class in precious metal clay a while back but never blogged about it. Probably because I was disappointed with my work!
We worked with PMC3 and here are my pieces before being fired. I know....they look like crap!

The instructor was new to PMC and she expected the pieces to come out of the kiln black and I wanted my pieces to look rough. The opposite happened and they came out white...looking like chaulk.

The clay is not easy to work with. I forget how many ounces there were but the piece was so tiny and tricky to add designs to. Was I expecting a huge clump of almost pure silver to work with?! Who knows!

After being fired, the pieces needed to be sanded with several pieces of paper from extremely course to very fine.

After sanding, I sort of like my hearts. I may make a little necklace and earrings set with these pieces....not sure yet.

Classes are great. I learned that PMC is not for me but I did have fun in the class! It has also given great respect for those of you who do work with PMC! Pottery is more up my alley. I should have some cool pictures in April to post of our creations!

I wish my saturdays were this relaxing!!!!! Do they know how great their life is? Emmett looks angry that I disrupted his slumber!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Val,I think your hearts look lovely, especially after they have been sanded... your cats are SO sweet, isn't it funny when they give you that cross look! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous hearts, Val! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them after sanding :) before tho, you're right they do look like chalk lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any way you can replace the handles on the bag? Maybe with some chain? I have bags like that, and they make me happy too.

    I love your hearts, and envy those kittens. Just like I envy my kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine came out white, too. You said you sanded them, but I found a stiff-wire brush from the hardware store (they're REALLY cheap. You can even get them at Wal-mart) worked perfectly for getting the white residue of the clay out of all the little nooks of the silver's surface. They look cute and made with love, so you should definitely be proud of them. :)

    I'm so glad you mentioned History of Fashion in your comment! There's going to be a post about that very thing coming up soon. Thanks for stopping by! :D

    P.S. I definitely have kitty envy right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! What sweet little kitties!

    I think your PMC hearts came out beautifully! Can't wait to see them in a design.

    I took a lampwork class, oh...early last year..made some beads that turned out pretty okay. Still haven't pictured them or put them into designs...where does the time go?
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the handbag, and think you must find some new handles for the old dear ! the leather looks wonderful.
    Meant to say before - your cat is oh so cute - she looks really at home on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the shiny effect on your hearts. Sanding did them justice. :)
    I have been wanting to take up pottery, esp Blue pottery which is a dying art. Too few applications, and too many applicants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you guys!

    Maybe I could drill holes into the handbag and rig some handles!!!

    Great tip about the wire brush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate retiring bags... But it alwasy surprises me how much I wear them out before noticing. I recently retired a Dooney and Bourke (also thrift store, but I didn't even konw what I had until one of my frieds started going through the tags). The retirement occured on a weekend I was at a craft show, so now I have a beautiful handmade bag :)

    I love classes, too. Especially the ones that come with all of the supplies and tool... so that after the class, if it was not the right thing for me, I have nothing invested. Personally I think your hearts turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your PMC looks great! It is hard to work with at first, but after you do it a few times you will be a pro. Don't give up on it, if you like pottery you will love PMC over time.

    I love MAB Jewelry's idea about changing the handles on your purse to chain.

    Have a great weekend.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little hearts! can't wait to see what you'll do with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I like your hearts! I love the rough look of them. I am so tempted to take a PMC class myself...I thought it could be neat to work my beads into some how but....like you am not sure it's my "thing". I'm glad you posted about your experience with it personally. Nice to know since I don't know anyone that has tried it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val