Saturday, September 8, 2012

This Week's Blog Post

Sesame Jasper Necklace
Sesame jasper is a cool mint green with white and black inclusions.
The small rounds are black onyx. The green is not an easy color to match with clothing but the beads will certainly pop against black! Available at Miss Val’s Creations.
Garden Update
Here are my late summer blooms. I love these, whatever they are! There was a beetle hanging out in this one.
My parents gave me a couple of these plants last fall from their garden so it is the first year I have them blooming on my property.

They started as a cool looking plant. This photo was taken in the spring.
My pretty rose of Sharon is blooming. I love the dark red that looks like it is painted in the center!
My pink winky is turning pink. Its flowers are white in the summer but then turn to pink and ultimately a burgundy tone in the fall!
These plants going along the house are periwinkle that my parents gave me from their yard. I planted them in the spring and they are doing well!
Hopefully they will grow into an attractive border along the foundation and hide the oil thingys a bit. They do flower in the spring so I am curious to see if they will flower for me!
Ladybug
Emmett found a ladybug in my office one night.
This entertained him for a while! I know I should have saved the bug but I feel bad that I keep my kitties inside since they miss out on a lot of fun!
Hollywood Around Boston
This photo was in the local Eagle Tribune newspaper. It is Kate Winslet at the local amusement park, Canobie Lake which is 1 town over from where I live.
The film crew came in early in the day to get the shots needed for the Jason Reitman film titled “Labor Day” which will be released in 2013. They had to keep quiet so locals did not know until after they left. Poor Kate apparently rode the crazy teacups. This is the park where I would go at least once a year growing up and get really nauseous from eating park food and going on rough rides!
Hollywood seems to be around more and more lately. Adam Sandler recently filmed a scene from “That’s My Boy” in a gentlemen’s club on a very busy road in Jim’s town. This is the sign used for the film (Bacon and Leggs)! It must have been hysterical lit up at night!
My boss’ son spent a couple of days as an extra on the set of Grownups 2 which was also filmed in our area (to be released in 2013)! Adam Sandler is from New Hampshire so he films many of the Happy Madison Productions in our area. Of course Boston itself sees tons of Hollywood filming but it is fun to see this action in the small towns.

Gluten Free Cookies

My first batch of gluten free cookies! They were delicious! The texture is different from normal cookies (somewhere between a scone and a cookie) but the taste made up for it.
Here is the recipe from The Gluten Free Goddess. I modified it by adding in dried cranberries and walnuts for Jim since he likes things healthy.  I also only used only about 1/3 of the sugar in the recipe since the chocolate and cranberries add quite a bit of sweetness on their own!
Thank you for stopping by! I wish you all a fabulous week! ~Val

20 comments:

  1. Your necklace is beautiful and your garden is doing really well and looks splendid!
    Funny thing to have Hollywood stars just around the corner. I would be shocked if I see them suddenly live in front of me and probably I would believe she/he would be a lookalike ;)
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bom dia! que demais haha
    adorei esse post! beijos
    e bom fim de semana :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous blooms! And I never knew of a flower whose blooms changed colors in different seasons. How pretty! The cookies look delish! I already pinned the recipe. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful flowers! :)

    the STYLE Fringe BLOG
    http://the-stylefringe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val,
    Beautiful necklace and I love the flowers in your garden they are so pretty. A lot of films are made in Alabama too it is just something about small towns that can not really be recreated in Hollywood. I do not have a problem with gluten, but those cookies sure look good.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden flowers are looking fabulous! Why do you keep the kitties inside if you have such a great garden?
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful necklace! You always find the most unusual beads!
    Val, you're so lucky that these amazing flowers are still blooming in your garden. Most of ours have wilted.
    I don't think any Hollywood Star ever made it to my neck of the woods. LOL.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val, that is a lovely necklace....I really like it. It is funny, when my dogs see bugs, my one little guy will try to dive at the floor with his face to eat them. He is getting old, he is 15 1/2 and cannot see or hear well at this point so I'm sure he doesn't have the grace your cats do when trying to hunt bugs...LOL I always have a fit...I hate for them to eat bugs..YUCK>>>

    Your garden flowers are very pretty. Mine is pretty much done for the season now and next month I will have friends and coworkers of my husband come over and dig up what they want because I cannot take it with me when I move next spring, that is for sure.

    Have a great and creative week Val.

    ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the pink in your garden :)
    How fun to have celebrities in town! It would be exciting to bump into them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That green plant looks like a succulent, is it?? oh and those chocolate chip cookies delish... gluten or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does look like a succulent but is a regular plant. I thought it was very cool coming out of the ground!

      Delete
  11. I love the necklace! Very pretty! Your garden is doing so well! Love all the photos! I love rose of sharon! I have many of them and they were all free! I got them from my brother and sister-in-law's house. The picture of your cat and the lady bug is too cute! I can't wait to try the cookies! They look so yummy ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely collection of flowers, your garden must be beautiful. Nice necklace, I have have never worked with sesame jasper, it looks fantastic with black.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty necklace! The jasper somehow reminds me of snow and seashells at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely necklace, Val!
    You always seem to put together just the right combinations.
    I've not seen a flower like the first pink one here, and it is so beautiful.
    It's getting pretty chilly here in NY now, especially the mornings.
    The plants and flowers are doing great though.

    I wish you a wonderful week ahead!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your necklace is quite lovely, it goes together so nicely. Your garden is just amazing! If I had a kitty, it would be an indoor kitty too, I'd just feel safer that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful necklace!!! and cute photos!!!
    Have a nice day, dear!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kitty used to love playing with crickets. She would rip their legs off and watch them try to hop. I think she picked up on my sick sense of humor.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for the absence! But wonderful walk through your garden! and I LOVE that necklace ... jasper is one of my favs, and the clasp just speaks to me :) The cat - ladybug encounter made me laugh ... that must have been a funny little episode!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val