Saturday, May 30, 2020

2020 Reads Thus Far

The stay at home lifestyle prompted me to modify my daily schedule to accommodate more reading time.

I am still on a mission to read more classics this year. Up to now I have read:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (1961)
Being a war novel, I was not sure this would be enjoyable for me. However it is a satirical anti war novel that is funny and sad at the same time. Hence, entertaining.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1862)
Many of us are familiar with this story having seen it on stage or in a film. I decided to give this epic novel a shot. It is not one I would recommend since it is long and arduous. However I did find it wonderful as Jean Valjean is an amazing, inspirational character.

After such a hefty read that took weeks to get through, I switched things up downloading lighter, more contemporary reads.

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (2018)
This is a humorous short novel of 2 sisters (one being a serial killer) that had me chuckling. It also focuses on family relationships.

The Immortalists - Chloe Benjamin (2018)
 

This novel follows 4 siblings who visited a fortune teller in 1969 as young children.  Each was told when they would die and this in turn affects their lives and relationships. It is a gloomy, yet page turning novel.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (2019)
In 2019 I read the prequel, The Handmaid's Tale. Jim and I also binge watched the series. While the book was disturbing, the series was tenfold since the author was on set during filming and filled in a lot of blanks. It was extremely uncomfortable to watch, yet we could not stop watching it. This is not for the faint at heart!

The Testaments does give a little closure on the characters. However I still feel like there are a lot of question marks.  I suppose this is on purpose since it is set 15 years after the first book and the television series is still in production.

The Island of the Sea Women by Lisa See (2019)
This is a story of the haenyeo women of the Korean island Jeju. These strong women dive for food to support their families. This novel is intriguing especially if you know nothing of this culture like me going into it. It is a beautiful, painful story but it also has its share of humor. It is also an interesting look at Jeju's history as it spans from 1930 to present.

The Grass Harp and short stories by Truman Capote (1951)
This novel is set in a small southern town with quirky characters that know each other business. It is typical Capote fun. The short stories that followed were fantastic too. 

So I am back to the classics!

I hope you have been able to find a few positive life changes through this difficult time too.

Thank you for stopping by. ~Val

24 comments:

  1. I think I should read the book of Lisa see....sound interesting.
    Thank you for summary of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- you haven't exactly been reading a lot of cheery reading during these covid months, have you! Dying children, serial killer, dystopian novels and Les Mis! Yikes! I'm glad you found some with a little humour to enjoy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It sounds like a recipe for nightmares. At least I seek out funny shows and movies on tv.

      Delete
  3. I just visit Jeju island website, yes, small island close to Japan.
    Interesting place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound like great books to read Val!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an impressive list Val :)
    I could not read nor watch Handmaid's Tale.
    Lately I've been reading a bunch of political books, quite depressing!
    Maybe I should switch to some lighter reads…
    have a great day,
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duni. I would not recommend The Handmaid's Tale since it is really depressing. That government is horrific! Political books are sad since there are too many parallels with reality. Lighter reading these days is a great idea! I always appreciate books that include humor. Enjoy your day too!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, I am sure Les Miserables was heavy going! I only saw it on the stage for the first time in Hebrew and, whilst I loved it, I had to check the plot online during the interval! We have the serial killer book in our book club. I will try and read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les Miserables was definitely the most difficult book I have read! It is much easier to enjoy on stage or in film. The serial killer book has a strange subject but is funny and an easy read.

      Delete
  7. wow, you've read a lot lately. I would love to try the Immortalists - and Testament. Hulu has a series ..one season so far and i really enjoyed it for Catch 22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about Catch 22 and Hulu! That would be fun to watch after reading the book. The main character is quite the character! Apparently this book had inspired the MASH tv series back in the day.

      Delete
  8. I plan to read some classics too. I will start Crime and Punishment pretty soon, as it is the next book on my list of books to read.
    Catch 22 is a book I plan to read, but who knows when I will get to that point to actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Anca! The classics are a treat to read. I love using an e-reader for those words that we no longer use in our vocabulary. With a touch, the definition pops up!

      Delete
  9. Oh what a great list! I read quite a lot of classics in school since I chose literature as elective subject back in highschool. Than while at university I love romantic novels. And when I got married I switched over to mystery novels. Well! Maybe I should include some classics too this year. I don't like contemporary literature or art so much. I am feeling more comfortable in the earlier centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Petra! It is great to switch around to different genres. The choices are endless! Like you, I prefer to be reading something set during a time long gone. I have always felt like I was meant to be born in a much earlier decade.

      Delete
  10. I read some of these and really enjoyed them (Les Miserables, The Handmaid's Tale, Catch 22). The ones I haven't read sound interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These novels were all great in their own way. You will have to read The Testaments to follow on on The Handmaid's Tale. :)

      Delete
  11. You've done well with your reading, thanks for sharing these titles.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val