Saturday, August 1, 2015

Up to Lately

An Anklet
This custom order was for an earthy brown gemstone anklet. I used tigerskin jasper and chrysanthemum stone finished off with a sterling silver lobster claw clasp.
A Gemstone Lanyard
This request was for a multi gemstone lanyard in a long 40 inch length to accommodate height. A breakaway magnetic clasp was added at the bottom by the link by request. 
In certain work environments, a breakaway clasp is important since the lanyard can get caught on something. This way is comes off easily without injury.

Resin
So I have worked with resin for the first time in my life! I had some of my photos printed up in wallet sizes to make them easier to work with.


Each was cut and sealed with packing tape.
So far I have only done 5 as an experiment to get comfortable. You can't see by the photo but some are not filled with enough resin....lesson learned! The resin is very shiny which makes the finish beautiful in person. 

I was concerned there would be an issue with air bubbles. Many use a heat torch to remove bubbles but I read somewhere that simply blowing lightly on the resin will do the trick. It did! I imagine on larger pieces a torch would be needed.
I'm not happy with the composition on this one. I was going for shabby chic.
I will be trying again with a different part of the photo. The subject is a patio umbrella base with a little rustiness. 

The project is on the back burner until I have more time to work on them when it is not super hot and humid outside! 

Thank you for stopping by! Have a creative, fun week ahead! ~Val

19 comments:

  1. the resin items are neat! i love that earthy anklet, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice. It's been awful hot here too. I can only spend a few hours a day in my studio...no air conditioner downstairs, and the upstairs is a mess which I don't feel like cleaning. yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hangers, so much fun, trying out new things. My favourites are the one with the drops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love experimenting with new materials too :) I've been admiring your work on IG.
    The breakaway clasp is a great idea! Honestly, I wish it were hot and humid here. At 50°F
    it's downright chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying out new things is fun and interesting. Never worked with resin but I am admiring those selfmade jewelries.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to work with different materials!!! nice post!!!
    Have a good week!!!:)))

    Besos, desde EspaƱa, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. good work doll, they are really gorgeous.
    www.glamourzone.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. the resin picture frames are looking good! I can imagine framing all sorts of pics they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fun lanyard! And your resin pieces look nice. As with anything, I'm sure there's a learning curve, but I bet you'll have this down in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good idea to use your photos for your resin pieces. They look great! Have fun experimenting :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey val! the jewelry you make is always beautiful. always love the special touches you give them. i don't know much about resin, but you will get it :)
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, the resin gives a lot of opportunities to experiment, and it's fun! You actually reminded me of my resin project I totally forgot about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those resin pieces look interesting. I actually really like your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these resin pieces. I think you are going to sell a lot of them! I recently bought a bunch of the resin stuff but have yet to do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ala que chulo, me ha encantado con la foto que te gusta, que guay

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all really rocking girl!!! The photo pendants are so cool and I love the anklet and lanyard! I have to get back to my painting! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val