Saturday, April 23, 2016

A Home Ornament

There are some random hooks around our house. Instead of removing them, I'm going to work with them. 

One of these hooks is in our stairwell that wraps around so there is a landing and window in the middle of it.
So I sat down at my work table with no plan but knowing I wanted to make something with color for the otherwise drab area. 
At first I thought I would be doing something with gemstones but I changed my mind when I came across these shells in my stash.
The concept slowly came together using the fun patterned copper and brass wires I carry in my findings shops!
With some coils, I was done! 

Here is the view walking up the stairs.
Here is the view walking down the stairs. I had to use my flash for this one with the window light!
It may have a wind chime effect in the summer when we open this window. We will see! I feel like the space needs something more substantial but I will give this a little time to decide.

I painted our front porch black! It was light gray but the black works better.
The black and white combo is quite tricky since any little spot you accidentally get on the opposite color shows up like crazy. So I know why it was not painted black before!  Thank you for stopping by! ~Val




17 comments:

  1. very clever design! I bet it will have a wind chime effect in the summer breeze - how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your spot of wispy color and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun addition, looks great near the window.
    And I love the black. Goes well with the new roof and shutters too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine the light coming through the window will be stunning. So creative.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a cute idea, Val! I bet the shells sounds lovely when you have the window open!
    Your house front looks very elegant in black and white :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your improvised wind-chime Val! I wonder what that hook was for originally? Maybe some kind of oil lamp?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative Val! Well done! So beautiful! I wouldn't take down those hooks either! Love the black paint! You did a great job on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful and creative! I like the black. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors and how it can came together. Wind chimes have a calming effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors and how it can came together. Wind chimes have a calming effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our house has weird hooks all over the place, too! We suspect they were for plants, but because one of them is in the bathroom corner, for example, we're not totally sure. I've chosen to ignore mine, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really nice!

    ** Join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    INSTAGRAM @BEAUTYEDITER
    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Val, this is wonderful, and it looks like such the perfect place for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool Val! Great wind chime effect and they are aesthetically beautiful. I think your porch looks great! Good job :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the chime and the black painted porch. Giving me some ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love wind chimes! You made a lovely one. Maybe they use the hooks for hanging baskets or for drying herbs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val