Saturday, June 22, 2019

Florida Flora

We recently took a drive down to Florida for the weekend. I love that this sentence is part of my world now!
I absolutely adore the lush tropical vibe.
This palm below has a gorgeous green trunk top with foliage growing out of it. It really appears artificial, making it more awesome.
I also got a close up view of a banyan tree! A banyan is a type of fig that grows on host trees. 

They end up dropping aerial roots and spread laterally. Needless to say, they are quite invasive.
I do wish I took a photo to demonstrate its girth as this one is super wide. 

Apparently Thomas Edison planted one in Fort Myers, FL that now spans 1 acre. Now that sounds like something to see!

A banyan looks like a thick, messy jungle. It also seems like something out of a fairy tale.
The flowers are gorgeous.
Some coral rock.
Papaya fruit growing on a tree.
An air plant growing in the wild. It is that big grassy bit on the trunk below.

Bananas growing.
The flower is a shoot that grows below the fruit.
I don't recall ever seeing a banana flower before.
Lots of deep green foliage.
Gorgeousness everywhere.

This awesome trunk below is a date palm. Another natural tree that looks like it belongs in a fairy tale.

We stopped at Sand Key Park in Clearwater, a county park that is only $5 per car to park all day. 

We took a beautiful stroll along the pale turquoise waters. The beach and water were dotted with people enjoying a lovely beach day.
I am not used to this rough beach. It is loaded with shell fragments. We walked barefoot, but with great care.
I hope you enjoyed this bit of The Sunshine State.

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val





42 comments:

  1. palm every where means tropic or hot temperature...
    aww...banana and papaya....love them....

    Have a wonderful summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanza! The air was very tropical. I loved it!

      Delete
  2. Yep, that scene is a tad different then the scene where you live. I love seeing the difference between TN and Calif when I go out there. Its like a totally different world. Fla is pretty much the same but in Fla you can't drive an hour and half and be in the mts. of that state. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. We chose to live where we are because it is 2 hours from the Atlantic and 2 hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains.

      Delete
  3. seems like you had a relaxing and beautiful week in Florida! :) Wishing you a fun summer ahead. Anyway, just dropping by to say hello all the way from the Philippines! I hope you can drop by my blog too and follow along if you like. Have a nice day! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net

    INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  4. This is pretty impressive, Val! And yes, I love "for the weekend." FLORIDA! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only banyan tree I've ever seen is in Lahaina, Maui. It is friggin' huge and provides such gorgeous shade from the hot sun! People just say "meet me at the banyan tree" and everyone knows where they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely you drove to Florida. You took lovely photos too. I really like this tropical type of fauna as well.
    Seeing the tree that Thomas Edison planted would be a cool experience indeed. I hope you get to see it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful nature photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The banyan tree indeed looks like something out of a fairy tale, how lovely. I've seen banana flowers before and I've also eaten them. I found a can of banana blossom in a chinese shop and I've made a salad with it. I leave you a link to the recipe I've made, if you are curious about it: http://www.cookstyle.co.uk/thai-inspired-banana-blossom-salad/

    Love all the photos. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information Anca. I have not heard of eating banana blossoms so I am curious now. I will have to check the Asian section of the grocers to see if they are available.

      Delete
  9. Bonita selección! Te espero por mi blog! Feliz noche! ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh que bonitas fotos~ Gracias por compartirlas

    ReplyDelete
  11. A red Hibiscus flower looks so bright!

    You found a banana flower, Miss Val!
    I know how to cook banana flowers. Very tasty :)

    Enjoy Summer in the Sunshine State, Miss Val!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a lovely and lush tropical scene; a great vibe for summer. Stunning shots too, you took. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun to take a drive to Florida, Val! I have seen banyan trees and they are a sight to behold. My late hubby and I saw one on Maui, way back when we celebrated our 25th anniversary. I walked on a rough beach in NC this past April, when I went with two high school friends, so I know what you're talking about. You must tread very cautiously!
    Loved your sunflower photos from your previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Maui someday to see all its tropical glory! The banyan trees must be incredible there! I didn't realize the beaches were so rough down this way until moving here. Off the coast of MA is soft, mushy sand. It is easy to walk barefoot on. However the water is always super cold to the point of often numbing versus comfortable down south,

      Delete
  14. I've never visited Florida. I love the flora and the bird is nice XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenovia. It is really beautiful there on the coast!

      Delete
  15. dear those photos are amazing;) I feel like i am here:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous post, your photographs were lovely to see and I agree with you …
    Gorgeousness everywhere.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish one day to see Florida, States in general.Love your pictures,lovely place. Have a great day ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful state. I hope you get a visit someday!

      Delete
  18. wow! such a beautiful plants and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice photos and wondering how long a drive is it to Florida where you went - is it a couple hours or ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Banyan tree, what an interessting tree. Seems you had alovely trip to florida!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val