Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Riverbanks Trail

Occasionally I blog about visits to the Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens here in Columbia, SC.
While one can take a tram or walk the road between the 2 major aspects of the park, Jim and I prefer this nature walk that goes along the Saluda River, connecting the parks.
While it is paved, it is rocky in parts! I love how the designers worked with the landscape to create the trail.
Above you can see a skinny tree that is growing in the way of the path.
The trail is full of natural beauty.
With the river nearby, there are creeks with calming sounds.
One should also pay attention to their footing as not to disturb the wildlife.
Before the Botanical Gardens existed, it was discussed to turn that entire area into a historical preserve. I am glad things were designed the way they were since we now enjoy both!
As you can imagine, the sound of the river is quite soothing here.
The ruins seen along the river are that of the Saluda Factory. It was the first water powered textile mill in South Carolina which ended up being destroyed in the Civil War.
There is a log cabin in the woods here containing artifacts, information and pictures relating to the history here.
The trail is tricky and steep in parts so it is not for everyone.  
I hope you enjoyed this river trail. 

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val


46 comments:

  1. Oh what a great tour. Thank you for that. Have you ever been to Rock City in Chattanooga TN. I bet you would like it. It is nice and has some great areas of natural beauty and then some areas for that kid at heart in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I have never been to TN and it would be wonderful to see the parks there. We have driven to FL for a getaway so I am sure someday we will drive to TN! It is probably closer too.

      Delete
    2. Yep...Tennessee would probably be a little closer for you. We have lots of fun things to do.

      Delete
    3. I can imagine all the fun up that way! We do enjoy exploring.

      Delete
  2. It is a nice walking trail along with the green vegetation and the sound of river :}

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always very agreeable when trails are worked into the natural features rather than being imposed on them. I think you are the only person, Val, who goes for a hike in sandals and a dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not my typical hiking attire. This was a day we were strolling the gardens. I do have more appropriate footwear for the times when we are going for a more rigorous walk!

      Delete
  4. I love that trail. We haven't been there in years, but we used to go there every year on or near my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful trail! We really enjoy it instead of taking the boring road.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place, I enjoyed lookin at your photos ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful place and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm huge fan of ZOO and botanical gardens and this one looks amazing. I would like to visit it.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/08/kerastase-resistance-serum_5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love visiting this park year round. It really is amazing!

      Delete
  8. Interesting place & amazing photos...

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks interesting . maybe you had a great day .

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous walk. Look at all of that green. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsey! I adore the magical vibe of moss and ivy.

      Delete
  11. we can observe a lot of things by walking...
    Log cabin looks attractive.....

    Thank you for sharing beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I lived nearby I would be on this trail all the time. How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a lovely trail... and you are dressed beautifully for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. It is so relaxing. We did this one again this morning!

      Delete
  15. This looks a fabulous walking trail. I certainly enjoyed my way around through your lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an amazingly fun walk! So much to explore and pay attention to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hope. It is a really fun, beautiful place to walk!

      Delete
  17. The river trail is amazing Val!! So much too explore! Love your red dress! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val