Saturday, May 2, 2020

Yard Update

Now that we are home all the time I can keep up with yard updates!
These were our first lilies to open. Such beauties!

Here is a macro view of our butterfly garden. Going into season 2, it is starting to come together!

Stepping stones have been added, leading to a birdbath. We intend on adding a bench in here, likely just beyond the Japanese maple that is in the foreground.

I will have to report back later in the season on how the stepping stones are working out.
These are rock sheets that get used on floors and walls. Laying them outside seems like a great idea. They form to the ground and we are hoping for grass and weeds to grow into them. This will help create a very natural look to the garden.
The critters are enjoying the yard.
When walking by the lavender, all you hear is BUZZZZZ! These bees are loving these buds.

Small clippings of ice plants have been planted.
These grow fast and bloom all season here.
Plus, they add amazing color to the garden.
This one was planted last year as a tiny piece and now it is a huge, gorgeous ground cover.
I have been adding our strawberries to yogurt and oatmeal. After only 2 berries last year, it pleases me to have useful amounts to enjoy!
This is our mystery shrub. It is an evergreen and was covered with flowers all winter and should continue through the summer.
If you recognize it, please let me know! It is fast growing which is another plus. Its leaves include both rich green and burgundy. The flowers are hot pink.

This was the first daisy bloom, one of my favorites. Simple and exuding cheerfulness.
I had never seen a pomegranate tree until we move south. These are at the zoo and botanical gardens so we have been able to observe their beauty throughout the year making them a desired fruit tree for our yard. 

These below were grown from the seed of a fruit we ate last year. They are doing amazing. The plan is to plant 3 of the best ones when they are ready. Maybe they will flower this year so I can show you guys the stunning orange-red bloom they produce.
The ornamental peach tree will be planted in the butterfly garden in the fall which will add a beautiful accent with its drooping, colorful leaves.
Stay safe and well.

Thank you for stopping by. ~Val











28 comments:

  1. Your yard is beautiful! Those ice plants look very interesting and lovely! I think I am going to google them because I've never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Petra. The ice plants are really unique and so pretty!

      Delete
  2. You have such a beautiful garden! Thanks for those gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous, Val. So much color. I hope my berries yield as much fruit as yours. Last year was the first year and now we'll see. So far, the leaves look nice but too early to flower and fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie! I hope you have a big strawberry harvest. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. I love strawberries. Beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iwona! Strawberries have always been one of my favorite fruits. :)

      Delete
  5. love your photos and i so wish i could have a garden. I just discovered the taste of pomegranite not that long ago when my grandson lived with us for awhile. He loved them and we would always look for othem when in season. Gardening is definitely a perk when you are stuck at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. Pomegranates have a wonderful flavor and are so healthy! I would love to sprinkle their seeds on my salad if we are successful in producing the fruit.

      Delete
  6. You are doing so well with your relatively new garden. I love the lilies and I love the fact that you are enjoying strawberries. We have had loads of oranges this summer. They taste better when they are homegrown ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I would love to have an orange tree! Kumquats grow well here but that is just not the same. Fruits and vegetable really do taste better if you grown them on your own.

      Delete
  7. Your yard looks lovely Val!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome picture my dear! You look very stylish and elegant! Please stay safe ! 🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to see the flowers in your yard/garden, I especially like the lilies, such a gorgeous colour.
    Yummy strawberries :)

    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. your garden so beautiful with flowers and strawberry....yummy.
    have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous garden, filled with so many wonderful flowers and you have butterflies too, I love that. Stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Val! Glorious!! I would love to see the sheet of stones, how everything grows into it. Very cool!! Yeh for strawberries! Everything really looks beautiful! Big Hugs and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! The grass is starting to grow in between the stones. Jim is attempting to grow some moss in there too!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful yard photos. The flowers are so beautiful. The strawberries look yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val