Saturday, January 28, 2012

This Week's Blog Post

Red Coral Earrings

Red coral has been a popular seller lately so I wanted to try a different bead. These little branches are so sweet! The earrings are available at Miss Val’s Creations.

A Tribute To My Neighbor
My neighbor, Fred, passed away at 79 years old. He was such a sweetie! He fought a short battle with cancer so it was too fast!

Fred was a retired boiler man and used to do my annual clean outs for me so I did not have to get stuck in a contract with an oil company.

He was also an avid gardener who gave me tons of lily and iris bulbs a couple of years ago which I have spread out on my property to enjoy for many years to come.

I just wanted to do a little tribute to him here.

I told his wife at the wake that his legacy will live on in my yard. Wakes are so awkward and I never know what to say! It was wonderful to have you as a neighbor Fred!

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
If you are a reader and have not yet read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson , I highly recommend it! The book has a little of everything including a murder mystery, corporate corruption, a love story, complicated characters, a psycho, a dysfunctional family and more!

I recently finished this one and want to see the movie but I am quite concerned that the film will not do the book justice. I may opt for the original Swedish version since I love a great foreign flick and that version won awards! My local library does carry it but it is currently checked out. I will get me hands on it eventually!

Saving Water
As mentioned in prior posts I do try to live as “green” as I can. With water consumption this includes full loads of laundry, being conservative when washing dishes and turning the water off when brushing my teeth. I do not even water the lawn since that is such a waste of water and let Mother Nature do her thing. Yes, sometimes she wants my yard to look like hay. My plantings are hearty ones that can handle a lack of water.

The one guilty thing here is my showers! Being and feeling clean are just as important as saving water. So what I have started doing is shampooing and conditioning with the water at full blast as usual. Then my water saving technique has been to turn the water down half way afterwards for the rest of the shower. I now feel less guilty and still feel totally clean!

I know the picture has nothing to do with water consumption but it showed up in my search for running water and I could not resist posting him. It was found via Yahoo Images with no credit so I do not know this fun photographer’s name.

Gargoyle
Jim pointed out that Emmett looks like a gargoyle on top of the fridge. What a good boy warding off evil spirits in the kitchen!

Notice how there is barely anything on the fridge. This is due to the fact if something is anywhere else in paws length Emmett will do everything he can with those long legs to push whatever is there onto the floor! He is a pain in my ass, but I love him.

Thank you for stopping by! I always love reading everyone's comments. Have a great week! ~Val

27 comments:

  1. My sincere condolences to your neighbour Fred's family. Having great neighbours is not to be underestimated.
    How lovely you have the flowers to remember him by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val what a lovely legacy fred left in your safe keeping - made me smile x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red is a great color this time of year!
    You paid a great tribute to Fred :) I'm sorry for your loss, but his legacy will live on as you said!
    That little lizzard is too darn cute! I'm glad you shared him :) And that's a great idea to turn down the water after rinsing my hair. I really only need the most water then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful flowers to remember him by! Memories are how people live on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And again your post is amazing, I realy love to read your blog & wish I could write in a way you do :)
    Oh, and I love those lilies and water walking lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val,
    I really like the red coral earrings they are very pretty. My condolances to the passing of your neighbor and friend, I know you will have good memories of him everytime you see the lovely lillies he passed on to you. Great tip on saving water in the shower.
    Well that is one way of not cluttering the top of the fridge! That is his place no other objects allowed (cute picture).
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tribute to your late neighbor he will live forever in your pretty garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos!!! I like the earrings!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Besos, desde EspaƱa, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah what a lovely post! I love every aspect of it, and you are so sweet. have a wonderful, creative day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good neighbors are a treasure and a comfort. Fred and his wife sound wonderful; sorry he didn't have enough time to battle the disease.

    Pretty earrings and may your flowers bloom each year as a tribute and to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tribute to your neighbor. The flowers are beautiful! Your coral earrings are really cute and a great color.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tribute to your neighbor!
    The red corals are amazing.
    Your water-savior guy is so funny :))
    Somehow I have problems commenting on blogs - don't know why sometimes (very often) it doesn't work, but I do come by...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable colours and a fine tribute !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Val, so sorry to hear about Fred, how sad. I think it is wonderful that you have all those flowers to look forward to each year, to remember him by.

    I loved the Girl with series so much, ( I listened to all 3 on my ipod ) that I turned right around after I finished book 3 and re-read the whole trio again. Glad you are enjoying them so much.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. The earrings are amazing in color and form. Beautiful. The flowers are wonderful. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emmet's facial expression is priceless:))
    Something like that " What ? It is my home so be humble and happy that I let you live in my place " :))
    My cat is the same , she is letting us to stay in the house which is her castle :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry for your loss. My his soul rest in piece. Sounds like he was a great fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sad when I read about your neighbor, it is hard when you have got on so well, but I love the fact that his flowers will live on in your garden, he will still be around.
    Now, about the Dragon Tattoo movie, yes yes yes, watch the Swedish version, it is the best and very real. It is worth waiting for, although Daniel Craig looks cute in the Hollywood version. If you can get the other two films in the trilogy, "the girl who kicked a hornets nest" and ... Oh no, can't remember the name of the other one.
    Finally, I love the photo of your cat on the fridge, what a cool dude.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing Val. This is a wonderful tribute to him.

    These earrings are beautiful, and the color is so perfect right now when all is so gray here.

    LOVE Emmett!! He does look like a gargoyle here!

    Have a wonderful week my Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Val, if you love book one, wait till you start book 2 and 3. My husband and I both agreed they kept getting better and better.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the look of coral and the combo w/ the silver is striking!
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your neighbor. It looks like he had a beautiful garden.
    Emmett makes quite the fridg topper - matching tones even :)
    Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The flowers are gorgeous - a lovely tribute to your friend. And I recommend the Swedish version of Tattoo - it is super!

    Dough, Dirt & Dye

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love those beautiful earrings and those flowers are simply stunning!

    xx Ivana

    Stop by sometimes :)
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your neighbour sounds like he was a lovely man. I think your tribute is wonderful and you will always think of him when tending to your garden.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're lucky to have had such a wonderful neighbor. How fantastic that you can always be reminded of him each time you walk out your door. :) That book is on my list of reads, some people love it and others hate it... that alone intrigues me! It's hard when you've just read an awesome book and then watch a mediocre movie, such a let down! I just reread Water for Elephants and now want to watch the movie, but am hesitant, hopefully it won't let me down. Your cat looks like he's doing an admirable job of protecting you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val