Saturday, June 10, 2017

Avocado Soup

I made this avocado soup on a whim one day when I had 2 ripe avocados lying around needing to be eaten.

How beautiful is our granite by the way? I am obsessed with its brown waves you see on the right side below. It is so much more enjoyable to be in the kitchen now than before with our decades old pink counter!
I referred to my cooking bible 1000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles and came across this simple recipe for which I had the 3 ingredients on hand.

2 cups of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups of chopped ripe avocados (I found 2 hass avocados to be the perfect amount)
1 cup of buttermilk

First bring the broth and avocado to a boil over medium heat.

Then place in a blender or food processor (depending on size, 2 batches may be needed). 
Cover and process until pureed into this beautiful smooth color.
Then put back in pot and stir in the buttermilk. That's it! 

I first had a bowl hot. Once cooled in the fridge, it is a delicious gazpacho! Great for a summer snack or side with a sandwich.
The recipe also suggests adding a 1/4 cup of chopped scallions or cilantro before pureeing if desired.

It stays green too (no browning)! I am guessing the buttermilk is the reason for this. 

Thank you for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you to try something new in the kitchen! ~Val



17 comments:

  1. I would never think to use avocados in a soup, but that looks delicious! and those counters are looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought about making a soup from avocados too! I think I would love this, especially with the addition of the cilantro. Enjoy your sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love avocados, Val, so I will definitely try this.
    Thank you for sharing, and have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought of using avocados this way. Interessting and I guess yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love avocados but have never thought of making soup with them! I was wondering whether you eat it hot or cold. I think I prefer the idea of it eaten cold. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I must remember this recipe, as I've never had avocado soup before. Glad you are enjoying your new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried avocado years ago and didn't like it but I think I should try it again as your soup does look very appetising. Your counters look great too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg I loveeee avocado! And I love soup.. so I guess this sounds pretty darn perfect.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very resourceful Val and it looks absolutely delicious!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow,I learnt something today. I would never think using a avocado in a hot soup. It looks so delicious!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The marble is lovely. I've never had avocado soup before, will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, this looks so good! Thank you for sharing! And, yes, your granite looks amazing! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks really lovely indeed. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah that looks delicious! Great way to use up avocados this season :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love avocados,but not sure i would take them as soup
    Looks so delicious
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val