Saturday, September 23, 2017

Sesame Candy

I saw this sesame candy being made up an episode of Lidia's Family Table and I just had to try them!
At first I was not going to blog the recipe because it was kind of a pain in the butt at the end! However Jim (and I) loved and devoured these yummies.

1 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup of sugar (I just used 3/4 cup since I was worried they would be too sweet)
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons of butter
extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
zest of 1 orange, finely grated
1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ground

Also needed are a rimmed baking sheet, a small saucepan, pastry brush, metal spatula and either parchment or wax paper.

Preheat oven at 350F.
Spread the sesame seeds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast until golden brown shaking occasionally (approximately 8 minutes). Set aside. While the seeds were toasting I got the rest of the ingredients ready.

Put sugar, honey, butter and 2 teaspoons of water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon frequently as the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Let this come to boil, then simmer until golden brown (about 5 minutes).
Brush with olive oil a non-porous cool work surface (I used a metal baking sheet). Coat the spatula as well.

When caramel is ready, turn off the heat and add the sesame seeds, almonds, zest and cinnamon. 
Pour (and scrape) this mixture onto the oiled surface quickly. Spread to about 1/2 thick with spatula. 

Allow to cool slightly for about 1 to 2 minutes then start cutting with a serrated knife. This is where it becomes a pain in the butt. I was not fast enough maybe because I wanted to cut them in pieces. Hence the mess in the first photo! 

Lydia actually cut them in strips and pieces can be broken off to eat like a brittle. I would recommend using oiled parchment paper to put the mixture on since not being quick enough led to some of this sticking to the oiled pan!

The strips should be put in layers of parchment or wax paper in an air tight container. 

This recipe was challenging for me since I am not used to this type of candy making! Hard and sticky! It was a great learning process so now I feel a little more confident to try other candy like recipes.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you give it a try, let me know! ~Val





14 comments:

  1. Oh my, now you've done it. All my good resolutions for a healthy weekend just flew out of the proverbial window. It looks delicious, thanks for sharing and for the sweet inspiration. Have a happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing! 🍁🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I cannot wait to try this. This looks very similar to something I buy from time to time here, locally.
    It is really expensive, but oh, is it delicious.
    Thank you for sharing this here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, not such a sesame fan but you have made them sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love sesame bars but I always buy them in the store. Of course homemade is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Val! Good for you and Jim! I always buy the sesame bars, but I would never think of making them! I don't know if I am to chicken to, after what happened to you! LOL! Thanks for the recipe! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stickers are going to be mailed out on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE sesame candy, know this from my childhood! Thank you for sharing the recipe. It's been a long time since I made any :)

    p.s. thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog the other day. Appreciate it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried sesame candy val! Looks great! Thanks for posting the recipe and instructions :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to need to try this. I do like these sesame snaps that come in little packages. http://www.mrsqbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are braver than me! I'm not one for candy-making either. The hot sugar scares the fire out of me. I know how much it can burn you if you drip it and I'm a clumsy gal. It does sound delicious though, very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks delicious even if it is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank for stopping on my blog! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val