Saturday, September 2, 2017

Stuffed Avocados

For years I have been saying that I need to try baking avocado after seeing so many delicious looking images online. So I finally did!

I was looking for a dinner dish for this huge avocado that was ready to eat.
Below is the actually recipe. I used used more ingredients due to the size of the avocado. This recipe is likely for the little Haas avocados.

1 avocado
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped tomato
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced cilantro
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup pepper jack or cojita, shredded or crumbled (I used cheddar since it was handy in the fridge and to be honest I have never heard of cojita!)
hot sauce to serve it desired

Preheat oven to 325F.

Cut avocado in half and remove pit.

In a small bowl, combine the onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt (ok, I forgot to buy cilantro so there is none in here).
Season the avocado halves with salt and pepper. Divide the veggie mix on the halves. Sprinkle the cheese on top.

Crinkle two pieces of foil under and around the halves to keep them from rolling on a baking sheet (and make clean up easier!).
Bake until cheese melts. This will take 8 to 12 minutes.
Enjoy! Healthy, filling, and yummy!

If you love avocados but never baked them before like us, give it a try. I see many recipes online with eggs baked in them. I will be trying that in the near future.

Thank you for stopping by. ~Val


11 comments:

  1. Save some for me please!
    Looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, does this ever look yummy, Val.
    Avocados are one of my favorite things, but Ive never thought of baking them.
    This one will be a "must do" this coming week.
    Thank you for sharing, and enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm Val! It looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good Val!!!! Thank you!! Totally yummy! My mom and I were just talking about avocados today!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do they taste like baked? Mine never make it as far as the oven, but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried avocado years ago and didn't like it so haven't bothered with it since. I think I need to try it again as so many people love them :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like eating avocados but have never baked them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried warm avocados, but I loved everything with cilantro, and basically everything that is covered with melted cheese. So I think I would really like your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this looks like a tasty treat! I've never had a warm avocado, but it seems like this would be really creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds heavenly! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val