Saturday, January 26, 2019

Art Show at the SC State Museum

A juried art show is currently on exhibit at the South Carolina State Museum to commemorate the museum's 30th anniversary.
The show features a wide variety of whimsical, colorful, beautiful, thought provoking art.
For those of you over a certain age like me, you will appreciate this one below. A collection of mixed tapes.
This darling below won first place.  Titled Eve, Our Lady of Freedom is by Diana Valente.
My personal favorite was Nature's Bounty by Doni Jordan. 

It was a botanical wall installation of dried flowers and plants. 

Throughout are wonderful quotes relating to nature and our relationship with it.
A joy to see all this wonderful local art! 

This exhibit is included with general admission to the museum which is $8.95. Parking is free.

The South Carolina State Museum is located at 301 Gervais Street in Columbia.

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val




9 comments:

  1. It looks like a wonderful show! I would certainly go see it if I were in the area. And you know what? I've read that cassettes are making a comeback! Like vinyl has. Sheesh, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature photos and quotes get me every time! My fave for sure and yes I was just remembering today that I use to love PET SHOP BOYS and then started wondering why I ever got rid of a lot of my tapes and CD's. i still kept some tapes and Cd's and recently I bought a boombox type player so I can listen to them. I can't believe I got rid of old stereos and especially my walkman, whine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to this show!! The cassettes made me laugh! LOL! I can't believe how much has changed in just a few years!
    All the art is Fantastic! Love "Eve" and the dried flowers with the quotes! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vase made from swirls looks interesting and, yes, I appreciate the mix tapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your description 'whimsical, colorful, beautiful, thought provoking art.'
    I though the dried flowers and quotes was a very creative idea.
    Many thanks for sharing your photographs ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so have that collection of the VHS tapes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val