Saturday, February 16, 2019

Augusta, Georgia

My first time stepping foot in Georgia was a visit to Augusta.
We started with a walk at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park where I got my fill of Spanish moss.
The open wetlands were beautiful in their blues and greens. I was hoping to see my first alligator sunning itself in the wild here but no such luck.
Unfortunately the swampy part of the walk was non-existent for us. There had been recent rain and as you can see above, some of the boardwalks were under water.

Then we headed into town
and marvelled at historic beauties.
The downtown looks like it was a place to be at one time.
Old buildings with charm.
It felt rundown though with sidewalks in dangerous conditions and the focal point below of the fountain not working. 

I do love the layout with the parks as well as parking in the center of the street.
This was back in January so the city was still dressed for the holiday season.

The highlight here is the walk along the Savannah River. This is the view looking across the river to North Augusta, SC.
All the riverwalks around here seem to have an outdoor ampitheater and this was no exception.
The walk features an upper and a lower walkway so there is plenty of area to enjoy. 
I am sure it is super pretty here during the warmer, more flower filled months.
There is even a charming house boat section.
I hope you enjoyed our day trip to Augusta.

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val













16 comments:

  1. When I hear of Augusta, Georgia, I always think of the Masters Golf Tournament. And I don't even like golf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buildings look lovely - so uniquely American. It is a shame when things are run down though. We went to our local beauty spot yesterday and one of the stands with a recording about the place wasn't working. Disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally enjoyed the walk - glad you took pics of not only the houses but some buildings in town . I am always interested in seeing other places. Sometimes I get an idea from someone's photos and then do a google walk if I can figure out from the name on a building where it is. I enjoyed the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely day trip, you caught wonderful spots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to see your photographs.
    I always think the boardwalks are such a good place to walk, shame that some of the boardwalks were under water though … but it happens!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful places! I have family in Georgia and used to visit all the time, but it's been years now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was an enjoyable trip with you to see Augusta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Estupendo post! Muchas gracias por tu Ășltima visita, espero verte pronto por mi blog! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. The character in those homes is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful trip and beautiful photos! That first photo is very magical! I love the homes! Truly amazing! Thanks Val! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous photos, it looks like a marvelous place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way about zoos. A part of me dislikes seeing animals in captivity and feels the majority of them cannot truly be happy there but another part appreciates what zoos are doing to educate people about animals as well as their preservation work.

    These are amazing photos, thank you for sharing them with us.

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val