Saturday, February 23, 2019

Riverbanks Zoo

Let me preface this post by saying I really, really dislike seeing animals in captivity. However over the years I have developed an appreciation for the work that zoos do for the education and preservation of various species.
The Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC has all that you expect to see in a zoo.
Its residents looked quite content although we did feel sad for the Bengal tiger who was pacing about.
My favorite is the endangered black footed cat below.

This cutie is among the smallest feline species in the world (yes smaller than domestic cats). The picture doesn't really show its size but he/she is so little.

It appeared as though there is a possible breeding attempt going on as there was another one behind the wall. This one was hissing quite a bit so they were not put together. Fingers crossed for success if this is the goal!

He/she looks harmless but these cats are actually the most deadly of all. This is do to their high success rate in capturing their prey.
When we were house hunting, there was a lot of buzz about lion cubs being born. They are not so little anymore! They are over to the left of mom and dad.
We saw another baby below! Mommy was moving quickly so getting a decent photo was not an option.
We saw happy couples chilling out.
I wish I turned on the video because these 2 lorikeets were mating and it was quite amusing seeing how the male hops around looking quite ridiculous (no offense to this handsome boy, but it was very humorous).
This photo reminds me of the Charmin commercials with the big bear butt. This was a playful grizzly situation.
There really was a whole lot of love going on around Valentine's Day at the zoo.

One of my favorite photos was actually one of the least attractive species here, the Malayan Tapir. It is one of those so ugly it is cute animals.
The most photogenic, attention loving are the meerkats!
Cuteness overload, I know!

I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of the zoo. Of course there is so much more than pictured here. 

Riverbanks Zoo
500 Wildlife Parkway
Columbia, SC 29210

Open daily all year from 9am - 5pm.
General adult admission is $19.95 which includes both the zoo and adjacent botanical gardens (garden entrance is 1300 Botanical Pkwy, West Columbia).

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val






14 comments:

  1. Zoos are still pretty popular places to go. Thanks for showing us yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. estupendas imageimá! Gracias por pasarte por mi blog, espero verte por allí muy pronto!💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. You worded it perfectly - dislike animals in captivity but good works being done also to educate etc. I am also like that with Bird Farms which I may have mentioned before. I love looking at the various species but wish they were caged up - although at least the cages are really big if that is any consolation. I would prefer if they are captives to at least have a huge aviary like I have seen in some places. Love the photos - and you sound like me - always wanting to go somewhere interesting. This last two months of not great weather and kind of feeling stuck on a mountain - makes it difficult to satisfy my adventurous spirit! (whine)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of animals in captivity myself, but like you I also see the good that zoos do, and (unfortunately) often they are the only place to enable a species to survive. Why do you think the tapir was ugly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That kitty does not look deadly! Glad you enjoyed your visit to the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see all of your photographs.
    I think many zoos do such good work in educating and preserving breeds.

    That tapir has a certain cuteness, and I just love the meerkats :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. These animals are all so precious Val! I love the photos! I have never heard of the black footed cat! So cute! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gardens are gorgeous thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val