Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Pearl Fryar Topiary Garden - Part 1

Pearl Fryar is a talent! This garden is located in the town of Bishopville, SC. Below are Hollywood junipers that are referred to as sailing ships.
Pearl started showing his topiary gift in the early 1980s. Below is aptly named the "fishbone tree".
His garden started to gain national attention in the 1990s.
He receives assistance from The Garden Conservancy which is a national organization to help preserve gardens and educate the public.
This former corn field was transformed by his green thumb.
Many of the plants and shrubs were the sad ones that nurseries were getting rid of due to their appearance or health. They have been clearly nursed back to beauty and health.
His artistry has brought the yard to life!
The Pearl Fryar Topiary Garden, Inc. is a local non-profit to preserve his legacy and artistry for the public to enjoy. Between the local and national organizations, the garden is sure to live on.
Pearl likes his visitors to interpret the shapes as they see them. I see someone grieving in this one below.
A holly topiary. Gorgeous.

It is a little strange to be walking though someone's yard.
It is perfect fun though!
I didn't get a close up view of the trees that look like they are growing out of the driveway. I imagine they are paved around.
Some of the shrubs are huge!
I hope you have enjoyed this green art.

If you go, open Tuesday thru Saturday 10am - 4pm.
145 Broad Acres Road
Bishopville, SC

Next blog post will be Pearl's junk art. He is also extremely creative with junk!

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val













38 comments:

  1. wow! this garden looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very appealing. A great talent put to work here with results to please all who visit. I note that you have spelled the name both Fryar and Fryer and I am wondering which is correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing the typo out David. It is Fryar.

      Delete
  3. WOW! This is stunning. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you in amongst those beautiful creations. Great pics and amazing that some of these were dying and not taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sandy. His work really wowed me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, if you get a chance stop over at my art blog to see the red tiger flowering maple photo i put up. I'm so glad i finally know the name thanks to your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I was a help in identifying that delicate, unique flower!

      Delete
    2. me too . I'm not good at describing something when I try to do a google search. I had no idea it was connected to the maple tree.

      Delete
    3. I had no idea flowering maples existed. They are so beautiful!

      Delete
  7. He did a fantastic jobs, all topiaries are so amazing.
    "fishbone tree" looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the trees look fantastic ....
    I will include in my Wishlist to visit it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a treat to see! I believe Pearl is around 80 years old now but I think his garden is going to continue.

      Delete
  9. Lots of work in those art items. Very cool and so neat to see. Yep, that don't happen in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Topiaries look like a lot of work and require ladders!

      Delete
  10. Wow, what artistry! Thanks for sharing this beautiful creation, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pearl Fryar topiary garden is such a stunning place to visit. I did enjoy all the great art. I think I can see someone grieving in that green shape too, and on the second glance I see heart shapes. If I lived in the area I would definitely visit this green heaven. The trees are so beautiful and I like the topiary so much. Topiary is truly an art for and Fryar is an artist. I love what you said about some of these plants being thrown away or donated and nursed back to health here. Plants can come alive with little TLC, it's amazing how they can bounce back really. What a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the heart shapes too. That tree can really be interpreted in so many ways. What he accomplished with plants and trees is awesome considering they would have otherwise been thrown out.

      Delete
  12. Wow, the place is simply stunning ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guzel tasarımlar. Sizi takip ettim . Sizi de beklerim

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are unbelievable. He is truly a gifted artist in topiary. I love that art so much more in this grand scale and the smaller versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he incredible? He gets up on a lift with his tools to do the work.

      Delete
  15. Un lugar precioso! Gracias por tu visita! 🌴🌵🌴🌵

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so agree, Pearl Fryar is a talent :)
    This topiary is stunning.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Val!! This is amazing! So creative! Looks like you are in a fairy tale! Some magical land! Love the photos of you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! It really is a magical place!
      Hugs, Val

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val