Sunday, June 16, 2019

Lake Murray Dam Walk

Lake Murray is a 50,000 acre lake with shoreline in our town.
It shoreline is approximately 500 miles.
There are places to hangout and picnic.
You can also bring your boat, kayak and more to set out onto the lake.
The lake is fed by the Saluda River. It began providing hydroelectric power to the area back in 1920. Its dam (Dreher Shoals Dam) was completed in 1930 and at the time was the largest man made reservoir in the world.
What is great here is that a dam walk was built for residents to enjoy. There are always people walking or jogging across the bridge.

The length is 1.7 miles (3.4 miles round trip).

We only walked this once during the winter. Not our cup of tea. Why? It is very loud as you are walking along with the traffic on the bridge. We also did not care for breathing in auto fumes or that there is no shelter from the sun.

However others enjoy it. It is smooth, safe and has a great view of the lake. On a beautiful day you can gaze out at sailboats, water skiers, fishing boats and more.
The city of Columbia is visible on the traffic side as it is 11 miles away.

It is not Paris, but there is a love lock fence. It is typically very windy here from our experience as you can see from my wild hair.  Our little vintage heart lock was an ebay find.
We have one of the smallest locks and below is the largest here.
I wanted one of these rusty vintage hearts in the center below but they are expensive to score online.
I am not sure why this symbol of South Carolina is in the shape of Texas. There must be a story behind this one.
This one below appears to be a tribute to a loved one.
Someone found a gorgeous owl padlock to hang.
If you go
1832 North Lake Drive (Highway 6)
Lexington, SC 29072 

Parking is free for walkers on the Lexington side in the small lot by the love lock fence. 

There is a park next to this lot with a $3 per car fee for locals. Here you can enjoy the beach, swim and picnic.

The other end of the bridge (Irmo side) has boat launches and fishing docks. Parking is $3 on this side as well. 

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val










42 comments:

  1. Love lock fences are very cool! I know they hate them in Paris and the rest of Europe, but if they are on a fence specially created for that purpose (and not on an historical artefact fence), then I think the custom is a charming one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice padlocks as a tribute to a loved one.
    Beautiful place to visit....

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the noise and the automobile pollution. Easy to understand why you don't go there too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will just stick with our peaceful nature walks.

      Delete
    2. David> pollution is one of problems in public spaces such as lakes, states forest etc....

      Delete
  4. wow that's a big lake - I'm sure it's got some beautiful spots but like you I wouldn't want to walk with a lot of traffic noise. Love all the locks on the fence and y ours is cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake is really huge and new homes are still being built on it. It is fantastic that areas and the walk have been added for the locals to enjoy.

      Delete
    2. there is so much in our country I would like to see - ...let alone the whole world. I could explore forever ...and I'd put this on my list - your area.. I love where you go.

      Delete
    3. Me too! It is endless what there is to explore. We had no idea how great our area was going to be until we moved here. We choose the area for the weather but also it was practical with conveniences, affordable and we were 2 hours from the coast and 2 hours from the mountains. It turns out people really enjoy the outdoors here and it shows with all the parks, landscaping, etc.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, lovely images of the lake. I can imagine the joy of picnicking around it. Pity though, about the noise and fumes from traffic. And that lock fence is adorable, who needs Paris...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd like smelling the fumes or the loud noise, either, Val. How nice to place your lock on the fence. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lake Murray! I did a post about it back in March or April on my blog. I won't drive across it and I've lived here all my life lol. I'm hoping I'll drive across the dam before the end of the year though. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful driving over the bridge and seeing all the boats out there! Enjoy your week too!

      Delete
  8. I love the cute locks fence. Definitely would make me smile if I saw it!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely place to visit!☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh very nice post darling :)
    Have a successful day dear!


    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Te kłódki to też świetny element dekoracji :=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lake Murray looks lovely. The locks on the bridge are adorable. I like the vintage ones a lot...and the owl lock is so cute. Great photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is great that you enjoyed your visit. I'd probably visit it if I lived in the area. I don't mind windy areas, and I simply adore lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a beautiful place to visit. The locks are so varied and wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That water looks good! I know our Paris lock is long gone. I'm glad you have found a spot that's designated for that that won't hurt bridges or whatever! It's a fun thing to do. Sounds like a great spot. (And I love your vintage lock!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this fence will be up for many years. It is sad that the locks are no longer in Paris. Our vintage lock is different from all the other ones here so it was a great find!

      Delete
  16. Stunning photos. The lake looks wonderful, it must be so relaxing walking around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That lake looks lovely, I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.
    Thanks also for showing us the different types/shapes etc love locks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. The love lock fence is a treat to look at. I wonder about all the stories behind them.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val