Saturday, December 14, 2019

Christmas at the Lexington County Museum

Once a year, the Lexington County Museum in South Carolina is open free to the public.
This happens around the holidays and includes period Christmas decor.
The use of cotton here and there is quite charming.
This colorful decoration below is what it looks like, branches with gum drops on the tips! So simple and so festive. 
We can learn a lot from prior generations on how to decorate with what we may have lying around the house or yard.
Decorating the fruit with cloves is brilliant.

Instead of a wreath we can gather branches and holly berries to decorated the front door.
Dried hydrangrea is always so pretty.



I never thought to embellish with lemons. Why not? Yellow is a joyful color.
 
Wild garland like this is a bit more jolly than what we see today.

I hope you enjoyed this decor from yesteryear.


Thank you for stopping by! Val

29 comments:

  1. We should all decorate with natural items perhaps, and in the process cut back on the sheer volume that some people burden their homes with. More is not better and cheap Chinese crap, with glitter, tinsel and built-in tackiness, is anathema to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right David! These natural decorations are really pleasing to the eye and still have that festive vibe.

      Delete
  2. Different and beautiful! We used to stud oranges with cloves when I was a kid. Very fragrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. I will have to try the orange, clove combo!

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful and inspiring, Ms Val!
    I will pick up my lemon from my backyard for decoration too, look nice with yellow :)
    Thank you Ms Val.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are some cool ideas, and never thought to use fruit / spices that way. I guess it is truly recyclable as you can eat it when you're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and beautiful! Good there is a place where old traditions and custom are preserved and shown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to museums - this one looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. This one is fantastic. They even had actors playing out scenes.

      Delete
    2. actors playing out scenes - cool - i saw that one time at an outside mall ...stopped for awhile and really enjoying watching it.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this post … and yes, it was good to see the décor from yesteryear.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely decorations and great collections...

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to discover Christmas in a new place! I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially like the fruit with the cloves and the hydrangrea tree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would use this all now! Brilliant ideas! I forgot to say on your other post, I love your butterfly garden! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val