Saturday, January 25, 2020

South Carolina State Museum

The South Carolina State Museum is a place perfect for both locals and tourists to visit.
Located in a renovated old mill building makes for a vast museum to display its history, art, natural history, science and technology exhibits.

My favorite aspect of the museum is the connection to South Carolina.
Included are prehistoric creatures that walked the land here.
 Artifacts found.
Gems mined here.
Petrified wood.
Also included are day to day items from the past like this device.
What the heck is that, you may wonder.  That was what a woman would sit under, completely attached to, when having her hair done in the beauty salon. This one had been used at the Brookland Beauty Shop on State Street in West Columbia.
How we listen to music keeps changing.
At the point we are at now with internet radio, homes don't have much more than a tiny speaker these days.
I am thankful for how televisions have evolved.
It must have been a little painful when finger missed the keys on the typewriters from the 1800s.
I would love to have see more photos like this one blown up at the museum. It is such a great way to imagine a moment in time!
One got some exercise back in the day when making a phone call since hand cranking was involved.
There is a fantastic display of transportation options.

There is a great display of what the earth here provides such as shale that is used in various products.
The beautiful woods nature has to offer.
Being an old cotton mill, there is a bit on this industry's history.
A disturbing display of factory photos are here filled with children working.
Here is a train that visitors can sit in.
A hand carved canoe.
U.S. War history buffs would really enjoy the extensive displays from the Revolutionary War and Civil War.
Even the astronomy lover would be happy here with the wide display of telescopes including an 1849 Henry Fitz.
This is just a sampling but there is so much more to see!

General admission is only $8.95. 

For an added fee, there is also a 4-D theater and planetarium experience.

In addition, there is the Boeing Observatory open Tuesday evenings. Take a look at the amazing night sky through a 1926 Alvan Clark 12 3/8 inch refracting telescope.

Hours are:
Monday  10am - 5pm
Tuesday 10am - 8pm
Wednesday thru Friday 10am - 5pm
Saturday 10am - 6pm
Sunday noon - 5pm

Located at:
301 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC



I hope you enjoyed our visit!


Thank you for stopping by! ~Val

27 comments:

  1. I really did enjoy the visit, Val, and your commentary links everything so well. I hope that communities around the world will continue to support such institutions so that we can get a glimpse into the past, and that the public never loses its curiosity and visits them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Viewing the past is entertaining and eye opening, helping us appreciate what we have today.

      Delete
  2. The building looks beautiful and big.
    It is great to imagine how life in the past by seeing artifacts of technology and transportation :)
    Have a great weekend, Ms Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it has a little bit of everything! I didn't know there were huge prehistoric armadillo-like dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about those big creatures either! They were cool looking!

      Delete
  4. This was a good visit and I really enjoyed it, Val. It makes sense and is smart for anyone relocating to a new state or community to visit spots like this that tell some of the stories and background of their new places. SC sure is interesting and I love the diversity of the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. It is quite a neat place and also has fun, changing exhibits to bring locals back!

      Delete
  5. I like to know histories thank to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una entrada estupenda ! Gracias por la informaciรณn! ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ Me alegro verte por mi blog , espero verte por allรญ muy pronto! Feliz domingo! ๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great place! I cannot imagine using that contraption to do my hair though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, my kind of place. I really enjoyed seeing all those old and interesting things. Wow, I would have never got my hair done at that salon ...well i rarely get it done anyway. This was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. I rarely get a haircut these days and stopped coloring a few years ago. I am all about low maintenance so I completely agree with you there!

      Delete
  9. Oh very nice place quiet and interesting
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to the SC State Museum in a few years. I've been numerous times when I was a child and for my college formal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to a museum in years. Would love to visit one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Tanza! They do have amazing collections here!

      Delete
  13. I love museums....and I would love to visit this one. Those prehistorical animals look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always so interesting to visit museums … I do like the prehistoric animals, I can just imagine our youngest Grandson enjoying them too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prehistoric animals are definitely fun for all ages. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val