Sunday, February 2, 2020

Dreher Island State Park

Dreher Island State Park is a 348 acre park on Lake Murray with 12 miles of shoreline located in the midlands of South Carolina.


We strolled the Little Gap Trail which is a tranquil, wooded walk around a peninsula.


It was filled with beautiful sites and sounds.
Many were out on their boats fishing.

We stumbled upon some ruins. Being a man-made lake to generate hydroelectric power, this was possibly from a home long before the lake was formed.

Most enjoyable was this peninsula off the peninsula.

Vibrant red clay sand was on one side.
The other side was crystal clear.
The red clay creates a colorful effect from afar.

Small to large white rocks dot the peaceful walk.
 This place is worth a visit for nature lovers.
A perfect way to take in some soothing scenery.
The trail itself is 2.1 miles with a lot of rugged ups and downs. So while clearing ones head, he or she will also get some great exercise for the body.

I envy those who live on and enjoy the lake year round. It is one of my many fantasies to live on a lake. While very doable here, I think the noises echoing off the water would drive me crazy. Not nature's audio, but rather human created audio.


This park has much more to offer including 2 other trails and plenty of camping.
There are also small sleeping cabins (as well as larger villas) like seen above for those who are not excited about sleeping in a tent but want to be as close to nature as possible. Picnic areas are abundant too. There is also a marina for folks with boats.

I hope you enjoyed our nature walk. We will definitely be back here. It is a marvelous place for a winter hike!

If you go, open daily from dawn to dusk.
3677 State Park Road
Prosperity, SC

Admission for the day is $3 for adults and $1 for children.

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val

29 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and serene area! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome. I wouldn't mind spending the night in one of those cabins, it looks like such a serene area.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I like the red clay in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. I was surprised to see such red clay here.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to Dreher Island State Park in ages! Thanks for reminding me of the places here in South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Wonderful place. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you´ll visit my blog soon. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely park! That red clay photo is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy my walk with you, your photographs show it so well.
    Happy February Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. It is even more beautiful in person! Happy February!

      Delete
  7. Oh so cute photos darling~ i love it that place looks so calming and relaxing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your photos are so peaceful and it looks like a scene from a faiytale movie too.
    By the way, I followed your blog, I hope to see you on mine too. Have a great day!

    https://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is wonderful how nature can make us feel as though we are in a fairytale.

      Delete
  9. i enjoyed your walk and the photos - always nice to get out in nature - ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val