Saturday, January 4, 2020

Van Gogh and His Inspirations

During a recent visit to the Columbia Museum of Art in SC, we enjoyed the Van Gogh and His Inspirations exhibit.
Self Portrait, 1887
While his works are not among my favorite, I do enjoy his more colorful pieces.
Edge of Wheat Field with Poppies, 1887

Flower Beds in Holland, c. 1883
I am fond of beautiful scenes drawn with pen and ink over graphite like this below.
Marsh with Water Lilies, 1881
Portrait of a Man with Pipe, 1890
That was just a sampling of the 12 Van Gogh works on display. 

Throughout the exhibit were other works tied to Van Gogh as they were inspirations. Here are some of my favorites.

Self Portrait as a Faun, Louis Anquetin, year unknown
Since I do like dark pieces, this was a favorite.
Ophelie (Suicide), Constantin Meunier c. 1860 - 1870

Portrait of a Lady, Ary Scheffer, 1841

The Sunken Path, James Dupre, 1850-1855

Preparing for the Soiree, Adolphe Joseph Thomas Monticelli, c 1870s
Then I felt inspired to go home and paint a mural on our wall.

Just kidding, this is the fun selfie wall with props put together by the museum.

I hope you enjoyed this museum visit!

Thank you for stopping by.  ~Val

32 comments:

  1. haha love the selfie wall! I actually love Vincent's work and his vibrant colors .. especially his night paintings by the water with reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that wall fun?! I love Starry Night and Starry Night Over the Rhone but they were not among this collection.

      Delete
  2. Wow,I love to visit museums like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great museum with a little bit of everything!

      Delete
  3. Good morning Val: It is a wonderful opportunity to see the works of one of the greatest artists of all time. The sums for which his works are sold is staggering - and more than a little ridiculous, but there is no question that he left an indelible mark on the world of art - and died a pauper, unfortunately. Were these works originals on loan from somewhere or high quality reproductions? I have to say that I was highly impressed by the beautiful muralist at the end of your post, with her rakish hat. If ever I decide to add a mural to my house I will be sure to contact her. I have it on reliable information that she will come at the drop of a hat if you promise beer from micro breweries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like all the greats in art and literature seem to die as paupers. It is sad but makes them more legendary. These works were on loan from museums all over. I do dream of painting masterpieces and yes I would bring micro brews to my clients' homes!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Van Gogh. This would have been an all-time favorite exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had me at Van Gogh - actually his colorful works were my favorite too. Love the Selfie Wall - you look marvelous among the flowers .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice paintings and drawings!
    The flower beds looks beautiful and colorful, and you are so gorgeous in selfie wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Estupendo post! Muchas gracias por tus bonitas palabras en mi blog , espero verte pronto por allΓ­! Feliz aΓ±o! πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸ’“

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love his art, it is truly timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, very unique...and his life story is as interesting as his art. He was a very human man who suffered a lot and cared about the poor. I think that something of his humanism shows in his art.

      Delete
  9. I saw Van Gogh exhibition once and I was trully impressed, I love his works :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great art works by great artist.....love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your photographs here, I like Van Gogh, so really enjoyed them.
    Love that selfie wall, you look great there.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, what a great exhibition! Lucky you! I like your last pic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post :) I follow you on gfc # 424 , follow back? :))
    xoxo

    https://lovefashionyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love his art
    I follow you on gfc
    Have a good day πŸ’‹

    https://softcutieblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see the beatiful pictures throughout your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the beautiful paintings.
    We made art jewelry from Van Gogh's famous paintings like Sunflowers, Irises, and Starry Night.
    You can see them here; https://www.copperreflections.com/category/art-jewelry/vincent-van-gogh-jewelry/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val