Saturday, December 28, 2019

2019 Year in Review

2019 was our first full calendar year living in South Carolina and it did not disappoint.

It was a pleasure to explore what the region has to offer. Here are some of our experiences. 

Strolling through my fantasy neighborhood in Beaufort, SC.
The stunning beach of Hunting Island State Park in St. Helena, SC.
Brewery/bar hopping in Asheville, NC while enjoying the view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The difference in landscape after a 3 hour drive is incredible!
 
A ride down to Florida and enjoying a completely different landscape in Clearwater.

First time to Georgia walking along the Savannah River in Augusta.


Edisto Memorial Gardens in Orangeburg, SC was another treat with its sea of roses.

Swan Lake in Sumter, SC was a gorgeous retreat.
The Old Sheldon Church Ruins in Yemassee, SC.
The whimsical work of Pearl Fryar in Bishopville, SC.
Walking the Lake Murray Dam and hanging our love lock.
The impressive topiaries of Greenwood, SC.
Our young butterfly garden is working. We had 4 monarch caterpillars. Since they find a hiding spot for their next phase of life, we don't know if they made it or became a snack for another creature.
The garden also became a huge attraction for the birds, particularly due to the addition of a birdbath which is being enjoyed at all temperatures. 

We have been to many restaurants to check out their offerings and more importantly, sip our way through a flight of beer to sample micro brews.  

Twisted Spur Brewing had the best presentation with the flight arriving in a carving of the South Carolina state.
Of course we went on many nature walks seeing our first alligator and rattlesnake (2 things I never expected to see wild here) as well as explored the city of Columbia.

Business has been very healthy, so much so that I cut back on social media quite a bit this year. 

Reducing social media use creates more hobby time opportunities. So I started focusing on reading classics and was surprised that one of my favorites was Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.
source
I was expecting a boring tedious read but really ended up enjoying this psychological thriller that was, at times, quite humorous. 

While that novel is not for everyone, one that I think may be was another favorite. This was John Steinbeck's East of Eden. 
source
I had seen the 1955 film starring James Dean earlier in the year when it was on Netflix.  While I enjoyed the film, it leaves out the first half of this epic read so the novel is much more entertaining.


This venture will continue into 2020 as it is proving to be much more amusing than anticipated! It has been a great way to discover authors of whose work I would love to read more of. 


I hope you all had a great, fulfilling 2019 too.

Wishing all my readers a marvelous 2020! 

Thank you for stopping by. ~Val

30 comments:

  1. Good morning Val: You are obviously enjoying your transplanted status. I too re-read "East of Eden" earlier this year, and have subsequently re-read "The Red Pony" and "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck, surely one of the finest English-language writers of the 20th Century. More to come, I suspect. All the best for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Wishing you a wonderful 2020. I will add The Red Pony and The Pearl to my list. Steinbeck's writing is very enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. You've made a great effort to see and appreciate your new home state! I enjoyed reading "Crime and Punishment" too, once upon a time. You should try reading Dostoevsky's "Brothers Karamazov" as well -- I think it's even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add Brothers Karamozov to my list! Thank you for the info. It will be another year filled with reading!

      Delete
  3. Dostoyewski is one of my fav authors, that book is absolutely amazing! I love anything XIX century when it comes to literature☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Writing seemed to be more eloquent then and it takes us back in time, while still relatable.

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear you're enjoy living in South Carolina and that you had a nice year. Lovely photos! I always enjoy reading about your travels. Nice book reviews too. Crime and Punishment was a book that marked my adolescence and I still love it, it's a great classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! Your book reviews inspired me to pick up classics again. It has been gratifying reading so many great works!

      Delete
    2. yes, I find that classics are always a good choice!

      Delete
  5. Seems like you have settled well into your new home. You've had a busy year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review, Ms Val!
    Glad to hear about your business and the novels.
    Steinbeck's books are awesome. My favorite one is Of Mice and Man.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evi! Happy New Year to you too!

      I also read Of Mice and Men this year. I watched the 1992 movie afterwards and was surprised to see it was just as I pictured it while reading! Usually that doesn't happen.

      Delete
  7. love the pictures, especially beach and garden....of course, picture of you...pretty.

    Happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tanza. Wishing you a Happy New Year too!

      Delete
  8. You have really maxed out learning about your new community and state. I love that! Lots of good memories from some of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a fun year! There are so many more places we want to visit in the state from the coast to the mountains.

      Delete
  9. great review of your year and i enjoyed all of those trips you took and shared .... Have a wonderful new year full of new places to go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! Wishing you a great 2020 filled with excursions too!

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year dear! I follow you on gfc # 423 , follow back?

    https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Val, I am so happy for you!!!! Wishing you all the best for 2020!!! Keep enjoying your reading! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an excellent review of your year, I enjoyed it.
    Wishing you a happy 2020.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've lived in South Carolina all my life and it's nice to see and be reminded of the attractions here. I've visited a lot of the places you've featured. I hope you're having a great new year Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pilar! Wishing you an amazing, happy 2020!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val