Saturday, August 19, 2017

Fun with Solder

So I am making it a point to set time aside each day to play around in the studio and have fun! 

Since I don't like to work with a plan I am always curious to see what the outcome will be.

With this wavy copper coin focal I randomly added solder.
Distinctive result letting it go crazy with the flux!
It is quite unisex too.

Here I had a mess up glob of solder.
It was too neat to toss so I found this agate focal in my stash and here is the final look!
I am trying some different finishes and textures to come up with pieces that speak to me. This one has been cleaned off completely.
However sometimes I think a pre-cleaned piece is really cool like this one below. The solder and copper are a little burnt and the coloring from the torch is beautiful. I will be trying out a sealant in hopes of maintaining such a finish!

I was also playing with this ring shape. I am loving it as is, all rustic.
Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed these free form funky pieces! ~Val


15 comments:

  1. Val, what an interesting and truly unique medium to be working with.
    I absolutely LOVE the result!
    Have a fantastic weekend, and I hope you'll post more of these wonderful designs here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for working without a plan, in my opinion that's the best way to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of taking time each day to do crafty stuff! I love round shapes, so I'm partial to the last one. Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I haven't heard that term in ages! I use to always be fascinated by solder. Love the piece you created. It's so beautiful! Would be great as a necklace.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the organic shapes the solder makes. Have you tried stamping the solder when it's still liquid to add some patterns to it? I've seen this done and it looked interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea, the result, everything is perfect to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these random, happy surprise results! Yes, the burnt solder one is so great. I love all the colors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Yes, Yes!!! I LOVE FUNKY!! Brilliant Val!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I especially love the rectangle and round ones but all of them are so neat. Love the behind-the-scenes on an artists process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did get some very good effects here, I like them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's really cool Val. I've never tried anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool way to add texture! I haven't pulled out my soldering materials in way too long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val