Monday, February 12, 2018

A Couple of House Details

Some of you may remember my blog post about our fake fireplace. We had said that if worked on the living room floor, we would tear it out. However over time its charm grew on us and we opted to keep it!

This was the before. Totally dated!
Here it is now.
We decided not to put the accessories back on. This will allow for more decorating options. 

We have kept the kitchy fake wood that lights up and makes fire sounds. This is too funny to get rid of.

Then there was a kitchen cabinet issue. I stained the cabinets before the old counter came off. That counter had a lip so I was not able to get up to the top. So after the granite was installed, there was a section that looked really sad.

Before.
Jim's brilliant, super inexpensive idea was a piece of corner moulding.
He made the cuts and I stained it using a foam brush to get in those nooks and crannies. This took a few coats.
Big improvement! It looks rich and custom.
The espresso stain shows every little water drip but I am still in love with it!

I hope you enjoyed our minor improvements. Thank you for stopping by. ~Val





18 comments:

  1. Wonderful improvements, Val. I am glad you decided to keep the fireplace. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very clever solution to the cabinets issue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, you guys are fantastic! You really are! Both so clever! Love the idea for the kitchen and I love the fireplace! The paint job is excellent! I love the fake fire wood that lights up! I would have it on all the time! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, your space looks great. I've been away for a bit, but I was thinking about you and your home projects just the other day and wondered if you guys had made any additional transformations. Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that trim molding really does look custom, too. Fireplace very nice! Don't you love making your home your way? It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great solutions for all problems. Love the fireplace. Looks now very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a fantastic job! I love the fireplace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on your Instagram and thought it was a real fireplace! Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks great. Love that update with the fireplace. I would kinda love a fake one too...just for the mantle decorating option! And that trick with the molding is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a great idea with the moulding - you'd never know it wasn't meant to be there! The fireplace looks lovely and modern now :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats so creative and looks so good after the work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, you and your hubby need a home improvement channel! LOL You two come up with the best ideas. The fireplace looks amazing! What a great job! Love the idea about the moulding for the cabinets. It did the trick. Love it.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. so fun to see how you guys are making updates and enjoying your home - we have the 'real' fireplace, and there are many times I wish I could just have one that turns on with the flip of a switch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh, great idea with the moulding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fireplace looks wonderful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val