Friday, April 26, 2019

Recent Zoo Visit

On a recent visit to the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC we got lucky! 

The gorillas were out enjoying the perfect weather. They are often hiding in their habitat when we are there so seeing lots of activity was exciting.
One of the little ones was playing.
Like watching a human toddler.
There was an insect she was watching.
There are 2 babies and 2 mommies here but we have yet to see the little ones play together.
I didn't score any good face photos.
Here is one of the mommies coming down the hill.
 
Then she plopped down in the shade in front of the window!
Where was silverback daddy? We was hanging out inside.
It is a little intimidating making eye contact with him but he appears to be a gentle giant. He seems to enjoy people watching.


We also got lucky seeing my favorite zoo species, the black footed cat. Being nocturnal, it is rare to see them out. They appear to be about half the size of the average domestic cat making them extra cute.
These little guys are a species in vulnerable status in Africa.


Thank you for stopping by! ~Val









34 comments:

  1. You wonder how long it will be before some of these rare animals are found only in zoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I do appreciate the work that zoos do to educate the public. So important! Of course it is hard seeing such amazing animals in captivity but they are well cared for and never have to worry about the threats of the wild.

      Delete
  2. I always wanted a monkey as a teen but then when I found out that I would have to change diapers I decided I did not need one. They are so cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val,
    How cute these gorilla puppies are.
    And how they get big.
    I did not know that beautiful cat! Wow
    is in estinção ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to watch the babies grow up since we visit here often. They do grow so fast!

      Delete
  4. You've shared some lovely photographs here.
    So nice to see the youngsters playing, and that is a beautiful looking cat.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gorillas are beautiful creatures. I love watching them. I remember seeing a very impressive silverback in San Diego - boy, what a guy! It is hard to turn away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, like human toddler...cute
    Have a wonderful spring

    # I follow you, I'll greatly appreciate if you follow me too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great gorilla photos. You caught beautiful moments. That baby gorilla is precious. Happy belated birthday to you too. April is a great birthday month, you're right about that. Being reborn with nature is perfect.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute pictures! Especially that with the black footed cat:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun thing to go do watching the little ones and never heard of a black footed cat i learned something..

    I love going to the zoo - the LA zoo is a nice one and also San Diego but both are a drive we don't like to take because of LA traffic anymore -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic is not fun. Luckily there are wonderful documentaries to enjoy on tv!

      Delete
  10. Well, I was all set to love on the gorilla till I saw that adorable cat! Lucky you, with a sighting. Is that their full size; looks like house-cat size. What a nice zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a full size black footed cat. It is difficult to tell from the photo but there are really tiny compared to domestic cats!

      Delete
  11. That baby gorilla is the cutest! It is quite amazing how similar they are to humans - or we are to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny observing them and seeing how alike the gorillas are to us.

      Delete
  12. What a great day Val! I love the baby! So cute!!! Love seeing the parents too! I have to admit, I wouldn't want to meet daddy face to face in the wild! LOL! That little cat is adorable! I want to take him home!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val