Thursday, July 18, 2019

Mimi Kato: Ordinary Sagas Exhibit

Mimi Kato's Ordinary Sagas is currently on exhibit at the Columbia Museum of Art in South Carolina.

Her photomontage work depicts ordinary life scenes in a fantastic, humorous way. One of the unique aspects of this work is that all the ladies are Kato herself dressed in various costumes, photographed, then inserted into the work.

I cropped some of the piece here so it is easier to see the details.
Wild Corporation: Executive Lounge








Wild Corporation: Daily Operation
If you have had any sort of job with co-workers, bosses, etc. you will probably relate to some of the scenes in the Wild Corporation series.
Wild Corporation: Risk Management
Wild Corporation: First Orientation
Wild Corporation: Strategies for Conflict Resolution
Landscape Retreat: High Noon
Landscape Retreat: Breezy Afternoon

My favorite is a multi panel piece titled One Ordinary Day of an Ordinary Town. 
It is a take on the 17th century multi panel painting "Scenes in and Around the Capital", of Kyoto as well as its suburbs.
Kato's amusing work does not stop there. How about fashion composed of office supplies?
Why not, right?
Such a whimsical exhibit this is. Life can be so serious and I really love Kato's take on the challenging aspects of it. If we can laugh at it, it becomes a little bit easier!

I hope you had some laughs with this one.

If you go, this exhibit is running through September 8, 2019.

Museum is open daily 10am - 5pm (closed Mondays). I recommend going during the Soda City Market on Saturdays when museum admission is only $5.

1515 Main Street
Columbia, SC

  

Thank you for stopping by! ~Val

46 comments:

  1. A very interesting approach. I would very much have enjoyed seeing this exhibit. Thanks for sharing it with us and I suspect introducing most of us to Kato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of Kato myself before this exhibit. Here work is quite unique!

      Delete
  2. great arts....
    I love the backgrounds...exciting

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so clever and loads of fun. Very innovative -- I would love to chat with her on her approach. I think she must have a very fun mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So creative, right? I am sure she has had some wild life experiences resulting in this artwork.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic exhibit. Love the Wild Corporation and Fashion from office suppliers. Real fun stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems in Wild Corporation, there is no serious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Columbia Museum of Art has so many great exhibits! I agree Saturday is the best day to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That exhibition is very interesting. I like different approach in showing office life and fashion creations are so original. Thank you for sharing.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/07/sarah-chapman-skinesis-massager-tools_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people are gifted with great talent and is a real joy to admire their work. I really feel related to the wild corporation creations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These costumes are amazing. I like painting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many cool places you see and go. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, how cool - so glad you posted about your visit to see her work. Amazing creativity in these. Who would think to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow this museum looks amazing darling~ thanks for share with us
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny and great work! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious! I like all of them, but my favourite must be the one called "Risk management". What a lovely exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Risk Management is my favorite in that series. It is a perfect depiction.

      Delete
  15. Kato's art is really unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are brilliant! How fun and creative!! Thanks for sharing Val! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mimi Kato is very creative.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so behind on my blog reading - I have just returned from a trip being my excuse - but have now read through your posts. This looks like an interesting exhibition. Her work looks fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading visitor comments! ~Val